Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disputing The Credit Card Charges
CrankyBeach
post Dec 12 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Browncoat

Group: Browncoats
Member No.: 138

I just got off the phone with the claims and disputes department of Bank of America. Mine is a business VISA card; I am not sure if the procedures will be different for other types of cards.

I explained what had happened. The very nice customer service representative pulled up all four charges that I had with Booster (three payments and one extra photo op) and immediately put them into dispute. She made notes of the explanation in the computer, saying something like this was a prepaid convention event, when the customers arrived to attend, they learned the event had been canceled due to the vendor's financial problems.

She is sending me the dispute resolution paperwork in the mail, and suggested I gather any and all paperwork (e-mail receipts, etc.) and have it ready to submit. They will initiate an investigation at their end, and we shall see. I told her there would likely be other calls, because there were 500 very angry people, and I am sure many of them are B of A customers. She said that's all right, this is what they are there for.

She was also completely appalled at what had happened. She did not know what Firefly was, but was familiar with Joss's other work.

So we shall see. Further reports will be forthcoming as events progress.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gonzai
post Dec 13 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #2

Captain

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 358

As my brother recently became an involuntary employee of BoA (they bought his employer) and my company works for them on a contract basis, I'm glad to hear BoA is making things comparatively easy for my fellow Browncoats.

+Quote Post
CrankyBeach
post Dec 13 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #3

Browncoat

Member No.: 138

QUOTE(Gonzai @ Dec 13 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]390798[/snapback]
As my brother recently became an involuntary employee of BoA (they bought his employer) and my company works for them on a contract basis, I'm glad to hear BoA is making things comparatively easy for my fellow Browncoats.

Well... we shall see how it all comes out in the end.

I posted somewhere else that my customer service rep said absolutely nothing about the fact that the earliest charge was 11 months old. She appeared to treat all four charges equally, regardless of their age.

I'll post updates as I learn new things. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
MalGal
post Dec 13 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Vigilante Dream Team

Member No.: 1,232

I used two different cards and they both had slightly different advice for me. Both said that if BE disputes the charge backs, they have to provide proof that the convention actually happened and I received the goods I purchased, though. If the charge backs are disputed, I will be notified immediately and offered the opportunity to refute it.

One of the banks said that I should have a copy of BE's refund policy in the event that the convention is cancelled. I explained that we had no signed contract and the policy is only on their web site. They told me a screen shot of the statement on the web site is sufficient proof of the policy. I have that. If anyone ends up needing it, I will send it. I got it last night just in case they take their site down again.

The other bank said that they don't see how BE can prove they actually provided the convention, so they don't anticipate that BE will try to dispute charge backs. One huge thing in our favor is that we have a Hilton hotel to support our claim.

+Quote Post
RachVG
post Dec 14 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #5

Captain

Member No.: 124

Okay, I need help. I'm completely useless and haven't had a credit card very long so I have no idea what to do here. How do I find out what number to ring? What do I say when I call? Does anybody know if you can do this with debit cards (I have a Maestro as well as my credit card, which I used to pay for my cocktail party ticket.)?

+Quote Post
gossi
post Dec 14 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #6

Command and Control

Member No.: 3

QUOTE(RachVG @ Dec 14 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]391510[/snapback]
Okay, I need help. I'm completely useless and haven't had a credit card very long so I have no idea what to do here. How do I find out what number to ring? What do I say when I call? Does anybody know if you can do this with debit cards (I have a Maestro as well as my credit card, which I used to pay for my cocktail party ticket.)?

Okay - Google the phone number. Ask them for a 'charge back' as the company didn't run the convention and is not processing refunds.

Debit cards - you can try, although I don't think they tend to offer them. Although if it's your bank they might help ya oot.

+Quote Post
Conachair
post Dec 14 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #7

On the crew

Member No.: 6,445

I went to my bank yesterday, asking about getting the money back through my credit card. I just got a phone call back. Apparently I won't be able to get the money back that way, and I was advised to contact Bosster, but I somehow don't see that working out. Any thoughts?

+Quote Post
MalGal
post Dec 14 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #8

Vigilante Dream Team

Rach, check the back of your card. Often, the phone number to call is listed there. If not, then gossi's suggestion should work. Your credit card should be issued through a bank. You would need to contact the bank that issued it for help. As for your debit card, the bank who issued that is the one you should call.

Conachair, what did your bank say? I wouldn't give up on that just yet. Perhaps the bank didn't really understand what was happening. I had to do a bit of convincing with one of my cards because they tried to pass me off to Booster Entertainment as well. I told them we'd all been trying to get information from BE regarding refunds and they've refused to answer our questions. That changed the credit card company's mind and they issued the refund.

+Quote Post
Fairmanwasgreat
post Dec 15 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,559

I just called my credit card company and was told since the charges were made more than 60 days ago, they can't do anything. A supervisor is supposed to be calling me back, but I'm not too hopeful. Might be time to switch to another credit card. Urg!

+Quote Post
Guest_DizzyEllie_*
post Dec 15 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #10

Guests

Most cards have appeals for fraud cases, even if it's past the 60 or 90 day point. In my card's case (Chase Visa), they told me to do a dispute in writing, explaining what happened and why it's taken so long to dispute the charges, and what I've done to get the money myself. I explained the situation to someone on the phone, and she said under circumstances like ours' we could see the refunds. She didn't make promises, but did say they do do refunds if the appeals are compelling.

+Quote Post
RachVG
post Dec 15 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #11

Captain

I found the number on my last statement. I'm on the phone now - the dude is sending me forms.

+Quote Post
Conachair
post Dec 15 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #12

On the crew

QUOTE(MalGal @ Dec 15 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]392111[/snapback]
Conachair, what did your bank say? I wouldn't give up on that just yet. Perhaps the bank didn't really understand what was happening. I had to do a bit of convincing with one of my cards because they tried to pass me off to Booster Entertainment as well. I told them we'd all been trying to get information from BE regarding refunds and they've refused to answer our questions. That changed the credit card company's mind and they issued the refund.

Well, I am sure the guy I talked to knew what he was doing. Our bank is actually here in my home village, and the people there know their customers well, and usually do everything they can to help. The person I spoke to was actually the one who helped us with all the paper work after my father died, and I am sure he did all the could.

+Quote Post
MalGal
post Dec 15 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #13

Vigilante Dream Team

Conachair, I'm sure he knew what he was doing, but I wouldn't drop it. I would try again. I would tell the man that you have tried to contact Booster Entertainment about your refund and they refuse to give you an answer about it. If you have to go to the BE web site and make a post requesting a refund in the forum they have set up for Flan Cancellation, I would do that.

Then, you can print out the screen shot of their refund policy and the screen shot of Vicki's post that Flan was cancelled to use as supporting documentation for the claim.

Both banks suggested I contact BE for a refund. I had to convince them that I tried that and had no luck before they would refund my money.

+Quote Post
IWenceslas
post Dec 15 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #14

There Be Dragons!

From: West of Boston, not quite suburb, not quite country....
Member No.: 3,321

I am seeking a screen cap of the one sentence cancellation from last Thursday because my B of A representative was not all nice and accomodating despite the situation. Chase Card Services on the other hand were incredible!!!!!!!! Immediate crediting to my account the charges made by Booster.

So, please, if you have a screencap of that page on the Booster site, would you post it? Thank you!

+Quote Post
MalGal
post Dec 15 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #15

Vigilante Dream Team

I have a screen cap of the thread that Vicki posted. If that won't do, I believe b!X has a screen cap of the statement they put up when they took the site down.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  flan_cancel.jpg ( 182.77K ) Number of downloads: 8

+Quote Post
BelowZero
post Dec 18 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #16

Ghost in the Machine/Special Snark Ninja

Member No.: 2,942

QUOTE(gossi @ Dec 14 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]391600[/snapback]
Okay - Google the phone number. Ask them for a 'charge back' as the company didn't run the convention and is not processing refunds.

Debit cards - you can try, although I don't think they tend to offer them. Although if it's your bank they might help ya oot.

If your debit card has the Visa or MC logo on it, proceed as if it is a credit card.

Although you may have to climb up the chain of command. I had one unhelpful witch at Visa for my March charge tell me I was just screwed, there was nothing they could do because it was so old. I plan to call again when I can stop swearing and get a supervisor.

Now, what are we doing about the stuff we bought from people who bought stuff from other people for us?

+Quote Post
BelowZero
post Dec 18 2006, 05:36 AM
Post #17

Ghost in the Machine/Special Snark Ninja

Member No.: 2,942

QUOTE(MalGal @ Dec 15 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]393014[/snapback]
I have a screen cap of the thread that Vicki posted. If that won't do, I believe b!X has a screen cap of the statement they put up when they took the site down.

Please email this and anything else you have screen cap wise to me at chrysofar@gmail.com

I am not only filing a dispute, I am trying to get that involuntary bankruptcy going! thanks

+Quote Post
Kazumi
post Dec 18 2006, 05:37 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 8,600

I was about to farewell my $$ at this point since my case is different from the rest of 495 shiney people, but I thought asking for any suggestions would be a good idea before completely giving up.

So, I have purchased VIP lifetime pass $5,000 back in January right after flan2 announcement.
There are 5 of us who bought this pass, but this is tricky since the pass wasn't exclusively for flan2, and BE did have 2 conventions.

I also purchased WP, 2 photo ops for my husband in November from people who couldnt come.
I contacted those and they said they'd reimburse us if they recieved refund - but we know that's highly unlikely at this point.
I know there are a good number of people who bought various things from others - should we give up on those? or ask the original person if they could dispute the charge? I know it cosumes a LOT of time and energy to dispute credit card charge, and I feel it's inappropriate to ask others to go through that for my sake.

Am I completely and loyaly screwed at this point? lol

Thanks for reading! icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
theonetruebix
post Dec 18 2006, 05:53 AM
Post #19

Captain

Member No.: 11

QUOTE(BelowZero @ Dec 17 2006, 09:34 PM) [snapback]394306[/snapback]
Although you may have to climb up the chain of command. I had one unhelpful witch at Visa for my March charge tell me I was just screwed, there was nothing they could do because it was so old. I plan to call again when I can stop swearing and get a supervisor.

As an example, my bank has a 3-month window for reporting fraud and disputing fraudulent charges. But the woman at my bank -- I went in person with a folder full of documentation -- agreed with me that in this case everything she and I were submitting to the fraud department would make it clear that the relevant date should not be when we made the PAYMENTS, but when we learned of the CANCELLATION. In other words, the "fraud" was when we didn't get the services we paid for.

So the relevant date would be December 7, only just over a week ago.

Try explaining to whoever you're dealing with that other financial institutions are looking at it that way, and so you're wondering if they can't look at it that way as well.

+Quote Post
Kazumi
post Dec 18 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 8,600

Sorry, please disregard my previous post! My hubby pointed out something. I can't find delete button, but if moderator person could delete it, I'd appreciate it!

thanks! icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
MalGal
post Dec 18 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #21

Vigilante Dream Team

QUOTE(BelowZero @ Dec 17 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]394307[/snapback]
Please email this and anything else you have screen cap wise to me at chrysofar@gmail.com

I am not only filing a dispute, I am trying to get that involuntary bankruptcy going! thanks

Done. Let me know if you get them or not. I also gave you some info on where you might be able to find some more things.

+Quote Post
Fairmanwasgreat
post Dec 18 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,559

It's worth being persistent. I was told at first that there was nothing that they could do, but after calling back and wading through 40 minutes of hold and transferring, I got someone on the line who could help. She told me how to fill out the dispute form on the statement and to write a letter. She said that they should be able to help me with this situation. I'll believe it for sure when I see money back in my account.

I can't believe BE is being so nonchalant about this. The post says they feel sick, but they seem to think spending our money on something other than our convention isn't fraud and that they can just say "oops" and it will all go away.

+Quote Post
MalGal
post Dec 18 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #23

Vigilante Dream Team

I posted this somewhere before, but I'm not sure where. I'm willing to write letters to banks if people need that. Please let me know if you do.

+Quote Post
RachVG
post Dec 18 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #24

Captain

Wow. Colour me shocked.

I got home from work to find a letter from my bank dated Friday saying they'd credited my account with 336.80. This was the $609 I spent on my Sunday Lunch ticket, the one thing I thought would be the hardest to claim back because I paid with bank transfer rather than anything else. I'm giddy right now. The most expensive thing and the one I'd written off in my mind, and I got it back! All it took was one phone call and the money was in my account by Friday afternoon (I checked online to see when it went in). I take back everything I said about HSBC!

Now I'm just waiting on another 60 or so through my Maestro card which my bank are looking into, and about 70 on VISA, plus a couple of other things I don't actually expect to get back (weekend pass, banquet ticket) because I bought them from other people (though I know at least one of them is in the process of trying to claim stuff back and said she'd pay me as soon as she gets something!).

But the 336? If I don't get anything else back, I'm still happy.

Not happy with the situation, but, well, y'know.

+Quote Post
Conachair
post Dec 19 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #25

On the crew

Okey, who has actually had success with claiming the money back through their credid card? It might be helpful to know, so that others can refer to that as precedent. I would be very intrested to know if anyone had any luck with Mastercard, because they basically told me they wouldn't refund the money.

+Quote Post
aboleyn24
post Dec 19 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #26

My King

Group: Paid Members
Member No.: 1,654

So far my Mastercard has been very helpful. It is still awaiting final status, but they are processing my claims. My Mastercard is with Citibank. I really think its the bank with which your credit card is held that makes the difference. They all have different procedures and and time limits.

+Quote Post
MalGal
post Dec 19 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #27

Vigilante Dream Team

I have been successful with both MasterCard and Visa. I agree with abolelyn. I think it has more to do with the bank than what type of card it is.

I don't know if this is true or not, but it might also have to do with not having received payment from BE. I don't think my credit cards had received anything, so they jumped at the chance to get out from under a debt that they might not be able to collect.

+Quote Post
NYPinTA
post Dec 19 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #28

The cuteness of this kitten... kills me. Dead. Dead of cute.

Member No.: 865

I was able to get money back from Chase for one third of my BDP and for some extra autographs that I purchased. My bank won't do anything for me for 2/3 or my BDP or two photo ops and 4 extra autographs. AMEX couldn't do anything over the phone becuase of the date, but told me to fax everything in to their disputes department. I am going to do that right now. And a screen shot of the refund policy would be helpful if anyone has it. Thanks.
I have one photo op paid for with money I had in my Paypal account. I did that one the first week of December, so I am hopeful about that.
So.... I will probably not get back more than half of the money I paid because I decided to use my debit card and not go into debt by putting the tickets on credit cards. What was I thinking?? Stupid fiscal responsibilty! I wanted to take a vacation and have it all paid for too. Stupid NYPinTA. *rolling eyes*
Plus, I bought one photo op from someone off Ebay. I don't know if they are pursuing a chargeback and will refund me.
Dammit, this sucks.

+Quote Post
MalGal
post Dec 19 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #29

Vigilante Dream Team

I just sent it to you via e-mail, NYP. I hope the bank is willing to work with you on this.

+Quote Post
NYPinTA
post Dec 19 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #30

The cuteness of this kitten... kills me. Dead. Dead of cute.

Member No.: 865

Thanks! You are a peach. icon_biggrin.gif
I'm not giving up though. I am taking everything I have and going down to my bank at lunch tomorrow, so maybe having my big fat face in theirs might make them more willing to do something. I will cry if I have to. Big fat tears. And wail.
I have my fingers crossed with AMEX. I just hope I word it right that it's not so much a dispute as fraud.... or something. icon_neutral.gif Whatever to make them get back my money!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 02:11 PM
Explicit Dimness Skin By Invision Styles & Destiny Paradise